Friday, June 27, 2014

Philippine National Police joins the ceremonial destruction of counterfeit and pirated goods June 27, 2014

From the Website of the President

Philippine National Police joins the ceremonial destruction of counterfeit and pirated goods June 27, 2014
The Philippine National Police joins the ceremonial destruction of counterfeit and pirated goods during simple ceremonies today at Camp Crame, Quezon City.

Together with the member-agencies of the National Committee on Intellectual Property Rights (NCIPR), the PNP staged the destruction of fake goods such as pirated CDs and DVDs, shoes, eyeglasses, photocopies of reviewers, bags and other counterfeited goods which were seized from the past months’ joint operations by NCIPR member-agencies.

“Counterfeiting and piracy are harmful to the Philippine economy and to the security and health of the local consumers. The activities can discourage foreign and local investments in the country and have been noted to result in job losses and foregone tax revenues.” said Atty. Ricardo R. Blancaflor, Director General of IPO.
According to NCIPR statistics, there is an increase of 214.96% or Php6,845,000,802 worth of total seizure from January to May this year than the Php2,173,261,017 of same period last year.

“Our desire to enhance the protection and enforcement of this multifaceted social setback will not be completely successful if not with the help of consumers. Let me remind the community that any kind of counterfeiting and piracy will never be legal. Purchase of counterfeit goods encourages people behind this unlawful activity to produce even more products because of the demand.” PNP Chief Director General Alan La Madrid Purisima said.

In the PNP, Php83,790,000-worth of goods were seized through various police operations from January to May 2014. It is 297% higher than the Php21,058,971-worth of goods seized last year of the same period.
NCIPR is composed of different government agencies like IPO, Bureau of Customs, DILG, DOJ, PNP, Optical Media Board, Food and Drug Administration, National Book Development Board, NBI, Office of the Special Envoy on Transnational Crime, and National Telecommunications Commission.


Ombudsman’s amended information to plunder charge allowed by rules of court June 26, 2014
Malacanang on Thursday said the Ombudsman acted well within the rules of court when it submitted a motion to change parts of the information on the plunder charge against Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. in connection with the alleged pork barrel scam.

The anti-graft court Sandiganbayan junked the amended plunder information charge against Revilla.

“It is allowed by the rules of court for the prosecution to file what they did, which is an amended information at iharap iyong kanilang kaso sa paraan na inaakala nilang mainam at ito ay naaayon sa kanilang tungkulin at mandato,” said Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma in a press briefing.

Coloma said the Office of the Special Prosecutor, which is under the Office of the Ombudsman, is an independent constitutional body.

“Hindi na po iyan sakop ng administration. Hindi na po iyan Executive. So malinaw po iyon, hindi po ang Executive ang nag-i-initiate nito,” Coloma stressed.

Further, Coloma expressed confidence that sufficient work has been done to build a credible and convincing case.

Citing President Benigno S. Aquino III, he said the matter is evidence-based and the government will file cases where there is sufficient buildup that will merit the successful prosecution of the case.

“We believe that we have done what is needed to build a strong case…Sa ngayon po ay ipinapaubaya na po natin sa pagpapasya ng ating mga hukom sa Sandiganbayan,” Coloma said, adding it continues to trust in the integrity of the anti-graft court.

Office of the President Website

Article links:  





Post a Comment